3 Things that went right:
- I successfully designed multiple aspects of the game and most of everything was implemented. I learned a lot about implementation into Unity, and overall the design team got a majority of what they had planned done.
- I modeled 3-D assets for the levels, and they actually worked (surprisingly). This was helpful in a lot of ways, but it was also a nice boost to my self-confidence as I didn’t really think I would be able to do it prior to actually doing it.
- Edits on the levels that I worked on went well, and overall the boulder level turned out to be decent. This level was entirely done by Kevin and I, so it’s nice to see that something that only us two touched for the most part worked.
3 Things that went wrong:
- Overall, many improvements could be made on the design of every level. I have a lot to learn still when it comes to teaching players without actually saying anything, and directing their attention.
- I talked about this last quarter, but I should have communicated more. I’m a shy person, so even talking over a communication app is a bit difficult. I need to get used to working with people more so everybody has less to worry about.
- Overall, I need to improve my capabilities in areas that I’m unfamiliar with. There were a lot of times this quarter where I just wasn’t able to volunteer for a job that nobody else could really do at the moment entirely because I didn’t have the knowledge on how to do it, and I felt that that was detrimental to the team in multiple ways.
2 Lessons learned:
- I learned that there’s a lot more to designing levels than I really thought there were, especially in 3-D. However, I also realized that designing levels is enjoyable, and something I’d like to pursue.
- I learned that being well-rounded can really help out a team. Through my shortcomings, the team suffered. However, had I known how to do a majority of what made the game, my teammates might have had less to worry about.