This week, I went back to the bear rig I had worked on in the previous weeks to correct some issues with the weight-painting. I’m not sure specifically what caused the issue, but the leg controls produced some major deformities in the bear’s mesh. Either there turned out to be some discrepancy between the versions I had saved, or I seriously overlooked something major, because I could’ve sworn that the problems I had to address this week were not present in the file I had submitted last Sunday.
The biggest obstacle I ran into this week was actually getting the weight paints to save properly. I spent more time than I should’ve figuring the solution to this, but whenever I erased a joint’s influence around the bear’s chest, Maya would restore the influence whenever I started painting in an other area, or whenever I closed/reopened the file. It was driving me nuts, but I found the most practical solution in adding an additional joint on the bear’s chest, just as I had added one for his stomach to reinforce his mesh there. Once that got taken care of, I was able to actually get the weight-paints in order and complete this rig once and for all.
Next week, I plan on tackling any additional environmental assets we may be lacking for the time being.