PPJ #4 – Brian Jackson

I can’t believe the term is already almost over! It seemed like the 10 weeks just flew by. We’ve gone so far since the beginning of this term, and we’ve accomplished so much in just 10 weeks. That said, I do believe that we could have improved on a few things.

That said, let’s start with the bad.

  1. Lack of Perforce: While we had a good file structure on Google Drive, the same did not go for Perforce. I believe that we could have been able to manage the build more effectively if we used Perforce more often. The lack of Perforce use leads me to my second point.
  2. Build Sharing: Once again, we could have made this possible through the use of Perforce. Throughout this entire quarter, we had one person managing the Unity files and incorporating all the assets into the build at the end of the week. This puts a lot of stress on that person, and I feel like this shouldn’t have been the case for our project.
  3. Puzzle Size: This one was more my fault if anything. When I first started building the levels, I decided that they should be approximately 40 x 60 feet. While this worked for the first level (the cave), it didn’t work for the other two, in my opinion. The puzzles I built for level two and three were much too long, and seemed to make players lose interest when I was watching the play tests.

Now, let’s move on to what we did correctly.

  1. Organization: Overall, I would have to say that our file structure on Google Drive was pretty sound. I was easy to navigate through the files we shared and utilize them for level building and putting into Unity.
  2. Team Collaboration: Our team was one of the best I’ve worked with so far. We kept in touch on a daily basis, and had at least 2 meetings a week. I believe that these communications helped contribute to the quality of our prototype immensely. It helped us prevent mix-ups in our weekly tasks and helped us grow as a team. Should we move and continue working on this game next quarter, I have no doubts that we would keep this streak going.
  3. Listening to our Audience: Whenever we got a critique from either our professor or from play testers, we made sure to try and cater to their suggestions, provided that the critique made sense and the change was within scope boundaries. Whenever we decided that we should make certain changes, we made sure to make them happen quickly so that we could roll out a new build to present to our audience. It allowed us for constant play testing and getting even more feedback.

All that said, this quarter has been a rough one, but I’ve enjoyed working with my team on this project immensely. I hope that we can continue to improve upon this game next quarter, and I hope to improve on my puzzle designing skills even more.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s